anomieandme

This blog is meant to become a textual archive of my dynamic and often contradictory intellectual development over the past and coming years. I hope it will accomplish two functions, as a kind of cognitive genealogy, and as a textual extension of my thoughts exposing them to outside criticisms. Please keep in mind that some of these posts are only trains of thought and not necessarily my actual opinions. I am a thirdish year undergraduate student majoring in both philosophy and sociology.

30.7.05

Nobel Pizes for Everyone!... but me


Sometimes I wish I were going into something that could bring me a little status and coin.


I was recently reading an article on economic sociology that I found on post at pubsociology. (I can’t cite the exact article because the motherfukers at the Boston Post want me to register. Might i add, only after i read three pages of the four page article. God knows I hate it when potentially useful sites have to bugger you with usernames and passwords.) The article begins by introducing some of the cacophony between economists and sociologists, but not without first mentioning that a mid-century economist won a Nobel Prize for his work using economic exchange theory to describe social phenomenon. Wow I sure whish sociology could have countered that with a Nobel Prize winner of our own. That’s when it occurred to me that such a come back would sure as heck be easier if there actually was a Nobel Prize for sociology like there is for economics.


For some reason in the back of my mind (and I’m sure in the back a many other minds) having a Nobel Prize seems to legitimize just about everything... just a little. This probably has something to do with the often talked about Nobel Peace Prize. So how the hell did economics get such an honour, to be associated in the same breath as Nobel and peace, and in virtue of this all things good and kind? Easy. I did a little research and it turns out the peckers bought it. “In 1968, the Bank of Sweden instituted the Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel, founder of the Nobel Prize. (nobelprize.org)


Damn, sometimes I wish I were going into something that could bring me a little status and coin. To make matters worse two posts down Bart Simpson adds his commentary to my predicament:

Bart Simpson: "I was so bored, I cut the ponytail off the guy in front of us."
(Putting ponytail on his own head) "Look at me! I'm a grad student! I'm 30 years old and I made $600 last year."
Marge: "Bart! Don't make fun of grad students! They just made a terrible life choice."



2 Comments:

At 31.7.05, Blogger Nicholas said...

i would love to post something more enlightening except.... wait i already have! come one mich you're fall'n behind!!! just kidding ;)

ah the age old capital dilema... yeah no solution there except a complete pardigme shift. basicaly youre pops and you are never gonna agree on this on, that is unless he up and becomes a krishna and swears off alll worldly possesian... or you up and sell yourself to THE MAN (can't be expressed adequately without caps...).

hope you get over your larengitis soon, i don't want you making me sick : ) not to mention you have papers and finals to write. get to work!

 
At 21.8.05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Word of Wisdom

Heavenly Father once told me this (Patriarchal Blessing)"Now the honours of men have no great meaning to you. Do not seek them in a glamourous way, but gain them in the quiet way, in which you have the ability to give, in your temperment, and your strength.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home