anomieandme

This blog is meant to become a textual archive of my dynamic and often contradictory intellectual development over the past and coming years. I hope it will accomplish two functions, as a kind of cognitive genealogy, and as a textual extension of my thoughts exposing them to outside criticisms. Please keep in mind that some of these posts are only trains of thought and not necessarily my actual opinions. I am a thirdish year undergraduate student majoring in both philosophy and sociology.

11.10.05

What about Surrey?

Found this floating about on the net. Thought it sort of summed up the whole surrey stigma thing.

[I'm] Relatively new to Vancouver and then I heard this Surrey slut/bum/trash....etc jokes from all walk of life. Went to Surrey twice and it looks like typical American car-friendly suburban to me...... Where is this Surrey slut thing come from?? Actually I start to notice on my job that people said they live in White Rock are actually just in Surrey! I thought that there was a municipality called South Surrey... as there are North Vancouver, West Vancouver.....etc because some people emphasized their address are in South Surrey (which never exist in official post code). When I asked folks in my office that anyone want to go to Surrey with me, my co-worker were puzzled and said "Why would anyone wants to go to Surrey?"

2 Comments:

At 11.10.05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You are getting spammed now!

Seeing as I live in Surrey, I get the jokes. However upon listening to local news each day, I would say that the other communities here in the Lower Mainland have the same problems. It kind of makes Surrey look more prestigous somehow! We are not alone!

Love Mom

 
At 12.10.05, Blogger Nicholas said...

i think its strange that "we do have million dollar estates here you know," seems to some how legitimate surrey: give em a lil prestige and class. i think i'd rather be associated with poor folk than i would be with selfish rich fuks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home