anomieandme

This blog is meant to become a textual archive of my dynamic and often contradictory intellectual development over the past and coming years. I hope it will accomplish two functions, as a kind of cognitive genealogy, and as a textual extension of my thoughts exposing them to outside criticisms. Please keep in mind that some of these posts are only trains of thought and not necessarily my actual opinions. I am a thirdish year undergraduate student majoring in both philosophy and sociology.

4.6.06

Terrorists Attack!

Well not really, but judging by all the media coverage following this story -- terror suspects arrested and charged in Toronto and surrounding area -- you might have thought so. Some people are on the edge of their seats; however, I am not -- and this being a blog, and my blog to boot, I geuss I'll tell you why. I'm only just under twenty-one years of age and I've already grown cynical of canada's legal and executive systems. Just as in past terror arrests it's unlikely we'll get much more information than the peanuts they offered us yesterday, anytime soon -- it will probably be in the courts for years with all kinds of press bands on publication. Since it involves security and CISIS there's a chance they may never tell us anything, as they have in the past. When they tell me what happened i'll surely pay attention, I'll even take note, but until this date there's little point in getting to excited. The Man knows what he knows, and a part from the publicity stunt -- the deliberately vague and patriotic, pat ourselves on the back, press conferences -- he'll tell us what he wants us to know, and when he wants us to know it. On the bright side of this, some of those persons arrested were canadian citizen, which means the security certificate deportation BS can't be levied on them as it has on others. After they're out, whenever that is, they'll still be able to use their rights as citizens as a platform for telling their story. Also, some of the the detanies are youth -- so many a watchdog will be all eyes. Hopefully things will be delt with and explained as soon as possible, but I'm not holding my breath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home