anomieandme

This blog is meant to become a textual archive of my dynamic and often contradictory intellectual development over the past and coming years. I hope it will accomplish two functions, as a kind of cognitive genealogy, and as a textual extension of my thoughts exposing them to outside criticisms. Please keep in mind that some of these posts are only trains of thought and not necessarily my actual opinions. I am a thirdish year undergraduate student majoring in both philosophy and sociology.

4.8.05

Assimilation and Radicalism

The appointment of Michaëlle Jean has also got me thinking about another matter all together. Recently we saw the very public debate over the appointment of a new judge to the Supreme Court in America. I doubt there will be any public outcry in Canada over Madame Jean’s leftish leanings. What strikes me is the way Canada’s “mosaic” reacts to major political appointments as opposed to the American “melting pot”. We would think that an assimilated population would get along better than an eclectic one. Why isn’t this the case? I’m feeling lazy this evening so I won’t go any further, but I’m thinking somewhere along the lines of assimilative practices and the radical polarization of populations being closely related. It would seem that the more eclectic you make a debate, the more difficult it is for nut-jobs to legitimate their ideologies. Is this a good thing? I think so.

2 Comments:

At 5.8.05, Blogger Nicholas said...

I once saw a lecture by Quine Dire (sp?)in which he argued that Trudeau, being the federalist that he was, used open door immigration to water down Quebec nationalism. I thought it was a pretty cool idea.

It's funny how an ecclectic community can bring people together. I wonder sometimes why such notions are so often vehemently opposed; however i can't help but remember what Hitler tought us about assimilation and the manipulation of the masses.

 
At 5.8.05, Blogger Nicholas said...

wow. i think i might have reached an all new low. commenting on my own blog.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home