anomieandme

This blog is meant to become a textual archive of my dynamic and often contradictory intellectual development over the past and coming years. I hope it will accomplish two functions, as a kind of cognitive genealogy, and as a textual extension of my thoughts exposing them to outside criticisms. Please keep in mind that some of these posts are only trains of thought and not necessarily my actual opinions. I am a thirdish year undergraduate student majoring in both philosophy and sociology.

19.11.05

Understanding not-understanding

Something just occurred to me as I was studying Quine’s "Two Dogmas of Empiricism". I’ll often make sense of things without understanding any of the terms involved; I mean to say that my mind seems to inherently interpret things on a structural or formal level, rather than in a practical, “this and this,” sort of way. Ironically, I’ll often make sense of things I don’t get at all. For example I love visiting physics sights and just reading the jargon: I’ll understand how they got from their premises to their conclusion, and even have a vague idea of what’s being said, but only as a whole; if you asked me to explain one part, I couldn’t. In my mind everything has always been relational -- it’s no wonder I take such a liking to structuralism and post-structuralism. I suppose if I had to attribute this to something, it’s probably the years I spent in French emersion without ever bothering to try and adequately learn French. There were countless words I didn’t understand, but as long as I could grasp the operands, things “made sense.” Meh; maybe everyone’s mind works like this?

4 Comments:

At 25.11.05, Blogger Nicholas said...

You'd be suprised how specific some definitions are, but we also take into consideration context: who said it and why. so a priori for kant is different then a priori for plato, but nonetheless depending on what your talking about both are relevent. keep in mind that the way they talk about things in science and the principles they abide by are all products of philosophy. I find the jargon only bothers people because of the queer relationship philosophy and the social sciences have to peoples day to day lives. physics they can ignore, but philosophy they can't. it upsets them to think that someone else might know more about what they're doing then they do.

 
At 30.11.05, Blogger Janssen said...

really intersting site, mind if i link you?

 
At 30.11.05, Blogger Nicholas said...

sure.

 
At 2.12.05, Blogger Nicholas said...

it's not that philosophers throw their shit in peoples faces any more then any other - that's what i'm saying - it's that people tend to notice the former more because it hurts their feelings.
to not care about understanding anything about philosophy/sociolology/phsycology is to not care about knowing anything about oneself. it requiers a complete ignorence of self and society. as for the natural sciences - most people will find it practical to understand that they shouldn't mix certain houshold chemicals and that if they jump off a high building they'll hit the ground hard. ironically people probably know more about the humanities and social sciences than they even realize - many people know a little about how power corrupts. nonetheless i'm not saying people should spend their lives devoted to these social sciences - they should simply recognize their own shortcommings and be willing to admit that someone else may know more about these things then them, and be able to keep in mind that they may have something to offer. ie. if you don't know that race and gender are social constructs (something that most people don't) then you probably should. but again, that's something many people are afraid to hear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home