anomieandme

This blog is meant to become a textual archive of my dynamic and often contradictory intellectual development over the past and coming years. I hope it will accomplish two functions, as a kind of cognitive genealogy, and as a textual extension of my thoughts exposing them to outside criticisms. Please keep in mind that some of these posts are only trains of thought and not necessarily my actual opinions. I am a thirdish year undergraduate student majoring in both philosophy and sociology.

10.12.05

Calvin and Hobbes and autumn

In this morning’s comics, Calvin and Hobbes basically summarize my sentiments concerning autumn. Being from Vancouver this whole four seasons thing is really knew to me, and so far I’ve enjoyed it immensely. This time of year back home, crisp days and coloured leaves were hard to come by, while out here they seem to be the norm. On coming out here, I expected to be a little wearier of winter by now, not delightfully surprised. But, it being my first year and all, I’ll admit, I’m looking forward to experiencing winter’s ‘frigid cold’ for experience sake. Maybe next year I’ll share Calvin’s anxiety when I’ll actually know what’s in store.

Hobbes: I love fall – I like the cool days, the low sunlight… and the sky looks even more blue when the trees are yellow and red!

Calvin: I dunno… I think autumn is melancholy. Summer is over and in a week or two; everything will be hunkered down for the long bleak winter. Nothing lasts. Fall is just the last fling before things get worse.

Hobbes: If good things lasted forever, would we appreciate how precious they are?

[Calvin contemplates]

Calvin: I like to have everything so good I can take it all for granted.

1 Comments:

At 10.12.05, Blogger Nicholas said...

maybe we shouldn't be so hard on this whole 'global warming' thing ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home