anomieandme

This blog is meant to become a textual archive of my dynamic and often contradictory intellectual development over the past and coming years. I hope it will accomplish two functions, as a kind of cognitive genealogy, and as a textual extension of my thoughts exposing them to outside criticisms. Please keep in mind that some of these posts are only trains of thought and not necessarily my actual opinions. I am a thirdish year undergraduate student majoring in both philosophy and sociology.

19.12.05

Should I be worried? Can I be dangerous by association?

Wow, how nice of Human Events: The National Conservative Weekly to draw up a lovely introductory reading guide to the human sciences. However, what an odd title: “Ten Most Harmful Books of the 19th and 20th Centuries.” Except maybe Mein Kampf, all these are must-reads. Alright I’m done patronizing – John fucking Maynard Keynes!? John Dewey!? Are you kidding me!? August Compte, who incidentally coined the term sociology… I didn’t realize conservatives in America had declared the whole of social science – not just unsavoury - but dangerous! Jesus mother fucking Christ – they don’t even have the Turner Diaries in there and that one is an actual how-to for white trash terrorists (That might I add was actually used). Anyways – I’m done – I’m so outraged I don’t even want to continue. If you want to know what I’m up to, for the next few years – I’m studying these texts; such is an arts education in anything other than economics in any other country in the world except America – (and maybe Iran [I’m sure they at least cover Das Kapital in China]).

Rex over at Savage Minds (A wicked anthro blog), a little less tempermental than I, gets all nostalgic:
I long for the time when ‘conservative’ meant ‘people who read Burke and Oakeshott and Macintyre.’ And when did ‘conservatives’ stop reading the Great Books and focus exclusively on the Christian bible? Sigh.
Sometimes I dismiss my apocalyptic pessimism as youthful naivety; gosh, people have been saying the world was going to end tomorrow since well before yesterday. It is days like today, that I have to seriously revisit this assumption.

P.S. If I havn't convinced you, check this out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home