anomieandme

This blog is meant to become a textual archive of my dynamic and often contradictory intellectual development over the past and coming years. I hope it will accomplish two functions, as a kind of cognitive genealogy, and as a textual extension of my thoughts exposing them to outside criticisms. Please keep in mind that some of these posts are only trains of thought and not necessarily my actual opinions. I am a thirdish year undergraduate student majoring in both philosophy and sociology.

23.1.06

No assembly required

Till there be property there can be no government, the very end of which is to
secure wealth, and to defend the rich from the poor. Adam Smith.
People sometimes ask me why I call myself an anarchist. I think the above quote just about sums this up (I don’t like the "bourgeois kids"). I also happen to be against most forms of private property. Go figure. But recently I’ve been thinking: maybe 'anarchist' is too harsh of a word. The truth is I’m not as much an anarchist as I am a post-structuralist pomo windbag. I’m open to the possibility of the Other – that’s all – and it so happens that anarchism, the un-presence of law and state, is that other. This makes for a curious structural relationship between anarchism and the way things are. You see, absolute anarchism is, well, impossible. Thus, it will always by that intangible Other no matter how it's pursued and for whatever duration of time. I feel that it is just that – its impossibility and subsequent utter open endedness – that makes it so tantalizing. It is less a pursuit of some fantastic decided upon utopian dream, as it is an unwillingness to accept just such a notion. There is no narrowing of the imagination needed, nor any assembly required.

3 Comments:

At 25.1.06, Blogger Nicholas said...

did you read my post?

and i will.

 
At 31.1.06, Blogger Nicholas said...

no your making sense, only i think you're missing my point. i tend to distinguish between anarchism as a reality and anarchism as a guiding force. anrchism is an abcsence of law (and state)and i tend to strive towards a reality that is as unrestricted as is possible. thus anarchist for my me simply means one who works towards less law. pragmatically i think voting is important - because such is the reality we are currently. i doubt that me obxtaining to vote will bring about a reality with less law. remember the reichstad - the bolshevics etc...

 
At 1.2.06, Blogger Nicholas said...

there's an irony to books about anrachism - they kindda miss the point. anarchism is not about rules, it's about no rules. law is intrinsic to text - any book about anarchism is legalizing and limiting it in turn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home