anomieandme

This blog is meant to become a textual archive of my dynamic and often contradictory intellectual development over the past and coming years. I hope it will accomplish two functions, as a kind of cognitive genealogy, and as a textual extension of my thoughts exposing them to outside criticisms. Please keep in mind that some of these posts are only trains of thought and not necessarily my actual opinions. I am a thirdish year undergraduate student majoring in both philosophy and sociology.

5.1.06

How coumod are you?


On the cover of Critical Theory (1994), by Couzens and McCarthy is located a ‘striking’ etching by Francisco Goya. It depicts “a figure presumably the artist, asleep at his desk while monstrous creatures of darkness swarm about him. On the desk itself is written the title of the etching, ‘El sueño de la razón produce monstruos.’” The phrase can be understood as either, “The sleep of reason produces monsters” or “The dream of reason produces monsters.” In one instance, the failure to use reason produces monsters; in the other it is reason itself that produces monsters. They associate this juxtaposition with two historical frameworks of meaning: that of the modern enlightenment, which is aligned with the former, and the counterenlightenment, which is aligned with the later. What struck me upon reading the two interpretations was my immediate inclination towards accepting the latter prior to any further explanation. Off the top of my head I couldn’t even tell you what the counterenlightenment is. Perhaps this suggests that within me is a deep-seated distrust of reason. I wonder if this sentiment is apparent in others also. Could this be a nifty (over-simplified) way of distinguishing between the moderns and counter-moderns among us? (It should be noted that, according to the writers, the most widely accepted interpretation of the piece is the former.)

1 Comments:

At 11.1.06, Blogger Janssen said...

"Could this be a nifty (over-simplified) way of distinguishing between the moderns and counter-moderns among us?"

I certainly hope not... then that would be so modern... hmm... but we really cant avoid puting things into a binary-matrix form of opposition, can we?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home